Problem Statement: Multiple maintenance(s) gives us tough time towards our availability , better manageability and eventually improper resource alignment.
Trying to solve: Better communication, better visibility. With visibility rest will follow.
What we want to Solve:
- Because emails aren't just letters anymore, they're tasks.. Specially in Operations.
- YOU might have been in the original email BUT got missed in the calendar invite by maintenance driver
- We need a ‘one stop’ view to see all the upcoming maintenances.
- Easy to analyze (dis)agree/ postpone these maintenances proposed by multiple team with this single view.
- From top of Pyramid view - path from scarcity to visibility and which will facilitate and clarify us the action part.
Say you already have a kinetic calendar OR confluence cal and such…. where multiple teams lists their upcoming maintenance. But it’s for various teams and looking at multiple places you need to derive your schedule. Or else someone will have to maintain one of your own which will be nothing but parts/extracts from all those. So will have maintenance overhead.
We can have yet another tool… I almost started working on one and stopped by this idea -
- Let’s have an outlook calendar for EBS which is shared across all team members.
- **Outlook calendar which will have “ONLY” maintenance listed.
- Forget everyone BUT just add this email id in the calendar invite - firstname.lastname@example.org
- By default it will display with your calendar, OR you can also Display on a floating TV Screen extended in your teams work area.
What we need:
We are proposing an email id which will give us a calendar also: email@example.com
We will use JUST the calendar part of this mailbox and all of us have a shared view.
We will see if sending email from this id can be restricted , if NOT possible we will put strict security disclaimer for this email id. I guess it is possible.
Everyone should have permission to have shared access that calendar.
If someone is calling a maintenance, AND any of your entity is involved ( which attracts risk or needs your attention) , please just have this email id included in the calendar invite. That’s it!!
Even If someone missed, one of us just can forward the invite so that it gets listed in the calendar.
Q & Comments:
How does it sound??