Friday, July 2, 2010

Transferring PuTTY settings

On my last post you might have come to know that almost after quite a long time I have upgraded my desktop to a Windows 7, and since most of the time I work with UNIX/LINUX/Solaris boxes, a huge list of server's had actually piled up in my PuTTy. So eventually I had to figure out a way to export this list to the new windows environment. I was able to do it without much hassle and here is how I exported my saved sessions.

Run -> Regedit -> HKEY_CURRENT_USER -> Software -> SimonTatham

BTW, what is this Simon Tatham :-)

Next,

Click File->Export. Give your file an appropriate name like, "putty.reg" and click "Save". Save the putty.reg file somewhere safe. The file doesn't contain any passwords or actual SSH key values, hence it is relatively safe from prying eyes. But, still, it contains your configuration and could be a good idea to be a bit cautious.

Importing Your PuTTy Configuration:

To import your saved PuTTy configuration on any other Windows computer, like what I had to do for my said XP to Windows 7 upgrade activity; simply copy your exported registry key, right click on the file and click "Merge". Windows will ask you for confirmation that you want to import this set of registry values. We know this file is safe, because we created it but, you should never import registry information from an unknown source.


Cheers!
-DEBU-

No comments:

Post a Comment

RCA - Root Cause Analysis

An important step in finding the root causes of issues or occurrences that happen within a system or organization is root cause analysis (RC...